Various questions

Ask any question about hosting in general or not :)
franciscogameiro

Various questions

Post by franciscogameiro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 am

Hi,

I sent some questions to your support email but i got an email back saying that my address could not be accepted because it was not recognized as coming from an email address belonging to one of your customers, which is in fact true. How do "pre-costumers" ask questions before going to purchase ? Anyway, I found this board and I hope you can clarify me :)

- Where are your servers located ?
- Can you give me an IP Address to ping ?
- VZSSD9 does not appear on the Order Now page, do you have those out of stock ? It says on the billing cycle "quarterly" but when I'm going to checkout I can choose monthly, i'm a little confused.
- What are the differences between OpenVZ and KVM ?
- Do you provide SSL certificates ?
- What is the processor of the machine ?
- What is the speed of your connection ? 100Mbps ?

Thanks for the patience,
Francisco Gameiro

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Various questions

Post by Admin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 am

Hello and welcome :)

1. Only certain departments accept emails not from current customers.
2. Servers are located in Caldera Business Park in Milano, Italy.
3. You can find the IPs to ping and test files in this recent offer: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/prometeus ... lan-italy/
4. VZSSD9 does not exist, largest is 7. However, you can build your own VM here (customizable both OVZ and KVM, just go to the last one in the OVZ page): http://my.iperweb.com/
5. This article might give you some clues regarding various types of virtualization: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=851
6. We could, but we prefer customers to buy or get their own.
7. CPU varies, we have many nodes, some E3s some E5s and speed is not the same across the board. It depends on the plan.
8. Most machines have a shared 1 Gbps port with the exception of backup and dedicated servers. In total we have 10 Gbps connection commit and 10 Gbps backup.

franciscogameiro

Post by franciscogameiro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

What is the difference between prometeus and iperweb ? And why can I customize a machine on iperweb and not on prometeus ? I'm a little confused about the dispersity of your services.

Perhaps I should have started by asking you what type of machine fits my needs, so here it goes:

- I will host a website with lots of business logic built with play! framework. I will deploy it on jBoss.
- I will have to setup my own mail server
- I will need mysql and will be playing with ≈ 10 tables
- I will need remote "visual" access, I suppose that's called RDP
- My team is hoping to have a good amount of viewers every day since it will be an online magazine.

On the link you sent me, iperweb, can I pay monthly ? I'm asking this because I would like to buy a machine for 1 month to see if it is good, and if so, i'll keep my vps with you.

Thank you!!

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Hello !

From the first 2, I can say OpenVZ will not be a good idea. At times Java does not like it and is very difficult to debug.
I do not understand the RDP thing. We have a VNC console to access your machine in case of emergency. You can also install desktop (at least 512 MB ram needed for a good one) and then VNC or RDP. We are not a managed service, but could do it for a fee.
A good amount can be anything from 1000 to 100000. It all depends on concurrent visitors. I would say, for Java apps, will need at least 20 MB per visitor if they are on in the same time.
This is a gross estimate and can vary a lot depending on app.
Prometeus is our italian company, big, VAT registered, main base of operations. Iperweb is mainly for low end VPSes where people can enjoy service without paying VAT. The servers are the same.
For starting I would recommend a Xen SSD with 1024 MB RAM and some extra disk space to have place to grow. You know better what storage space you need, if the regular is ok, leave it like that.
We have plans on Iperweb that can be paid monthly, for example KVM plans which will work in your case too.

franciscogameiro

Post by franciscogameiro » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks for the answer.

So you suggest that I buy Xen or KVM which are both suitable for my needs.

What I was trying to tell you is that I need to access my machine "visually", like "Teamviewer", don't know if you ever heard of.
I think that's achievable through a VNC Server on the machine and a VNC Client on mine right ?

Overall I can install whatever I want on the machine right ? That's my confusion.

Sorry for all the noobie questions but I've never dealt with a VPS!

Francisco Gameiro

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 am

Hello !

This is a linux operating system. We have KVM Windows but it is out of stock now.
Usually, if you cannot do things from the command line you need either a managed service or a Windows VPS.
It can be done, VNC can control the desktop systems or the terminal from solusvm, there is RDP for linux as well aws other tools such as no machine ones or temviewer, but you need to install everything from scratch in most cases. I recommend you a KVM or xen desktop installation as they are most compatible.

jcaleb

Post by jcaleb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Mate, go for 1GB KVM or Xen