what triggers ddos attacks

Ask any question about hosting in general or not :)
jcaleb

what triggers ddos attacks

Post by jcaleb » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:15 am

hello,

a little newb question. but what usually invite ddos attacks? i read that IRC and Minecraft attracts ddos. I just couldn't imagine anyone who will try ddos uncle. i mean, i understand if it happen to other providers as sometimes they have some attitude.

ErawanArifNugroho

Re: what triggers ddos attacks

Post by ErawanArifNugroho » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Sometime, because people want to testing another provider.
Sometime, because provider hate another provider.
Sometime, kids need to play.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Jon, imagine you are playing some game and the GM/admin found you cheating and exposed you or simply only banned you.
Since you can't play there anymore, others shouldn't be able to play either so you buy some cheap DDoS "service" and attack the host that offers the game mostly for free.
They will be kicked and you have done your "job", you are happy.
The provider is usually a bystander, it just happen to host the VPS. Other times they are furious on the provider too because it "shelters" the "guilty part" which offers the game in the first place. For example, if their cheap DDoS "service" didn't do the trick, this means they have to invest more and get a more "professional" range of bots to do it with a higher price tag, and they will keep escalating until the datacenter kicks the provider or it's bandwidth costs are so high it is no longer possible to survive in this market.
IRC botnets often DDoS each other to eliminate "competition".
There are many other causes for cyberterrorism, some "real" some completely imagined.
M

NanoG6

Post by NanoG6 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:57 am

I can't imagine if uncle provide service for game server :?

jcaleb

Post by jcaleb » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:07 am

thanks admin for the very good explanation. you sure are very patient with us =)