SVN Setup for a noob

Ask any question about hosting in general or not :)
gunemalli

SVN Setup for a noob

Post by gunemalli » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Fellas,

Need a little help. I've been assigned a task of setting up an SVN server, since I'm a network admin and not a software dev, I have absolutely no idea on SVN's and how they work. I've looked up on tutorial on the net and the ones available are complete, but does not cater for someone who is absolutely new this.

If someone can guide me through the steps for a centos server that would e great even if it's just copying the content from a good article and explaining a bit more to someone like me to get it up and running.

Thanks & Regards,
Asanka

jcaleb

Re: SVN Setup for a noob

Post by jcaleb » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:53 pm

svn is a little bit tough. cvs or git is way easier

gunemalli

Post by gunemalli » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks, but the client needs a SVN.

Anyways I've een playing around with the server today and i believe this is my 6th reinstall of the server. I've been trying to setup ubersvn and cpanel dns only on seerate occasions but i'm getting no where. installations finishes successfully but the we interfaces do not load for some reason. I can ping/ssh to the vps but we interfaces do not load :(

This is th efirst time i've been in troule like this tyring to install software. I've no idea where i'm messing up, if any.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:34 am

I would suggest you install a simple site that makes use of the features SVN uses. It might be some obscure setting in apache.
You may want also to turn on errors to debug it, look in logs, there might be useful info.
M

gunemalli

Post by gunemalli » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi Admin,

Managed to get it sorted out. the culprit is either SELINUX or IPTABLES. These were the only changes that I did from the other installations and Everything is working perfectly.
cPanel DNS only+ uberSVN uses ~460M on the VPS and is working like a charm.

Now, I need to setup CSF to secure the server, then FTP+Webserver on this VPS for some small work.

BTW, is there a way I can get a backup generated of the full VPS, as i'm going to try some stupid stuff to get the above working, and if I screw up want a way to easily restore the services.

Regards

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Hello !

It depends on your plan.
Biz plans come with 20 GB FTP backup offsite space which is setup upon request.
You are in charge of your backups on the other plans, we only take internal ones for disaster recovery purposes and only on SSD plans.
A firewall is not always a good idea, it rarely secures things, only if you wish to block access to some services on some criteria such as the country of origin, number of connections, rate of transfer, number of packets to limit things like a small ddos. Using a firewall to close ports where no services are listening, is not useful and can insert another Single Point of Failure (SPOF). I have seen quite a few people locking themselves out by mistake.

Admin