Current Budget offer

Keeping track of current stock and offer. Check here the status of special offers and availability/expiration date.
Admin
Site Admin

Current Budget offer

Post by Admin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:39 pm

I put a digest here of the current offer and caracteristics.
Will also try to keep current on stock.

Current offer:
Description: http://iperweb.com/site/budget-vps.php
With stock: https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=7
The out of stock items will be provisioned when we add new servers, check back here and ask about ETA.

Which plan to chose ?

1. OVZ
Caracteristics:
Pro: Fast, low overhead, cheap.
Con: Not fully virtualized machine, doesnt run own kernel (dependent on host) needs special tweaks to allow VPN and other caracteristics are not fully implemented. Reports slightly higher memory usage than in reality.
Best suited for: Webhosting, DNS, server status reporting and similar.
Not well suited:certain kinds of VPN (IPSec for example is not supported), java apps (working in general, but certain features will fail silently, you have been warned !), generally things that need full NICs, full kernel access or special modules. Some can be made to work, some are completely unsupported now.

2. XEN
Caracteristics:
Pro: Almost full virtualization runs own kernel albeit a bit modified to allow paravirtualization. Everything supported with small caveats. Memory usage is more predictable, swap is happening directly on the disk tho, and whis means it is genrally slower and causes more load on the node than vSwap on OVZ)
Cons: Higher overhead than OVZ this means it allows less machines per node to keep the well knows Prometeus performance, resulting in a higher price.
Best suited for: Game servers (make sure you have enough resources !), remote desktop, java apps. Can run everything OVZ runs, but for those recommended there, chose OVZ.
Not suited for: Aside from not being able to run just any machine as KVM can (including windows), everything else works, but will not be as fast as OVZ overall.

3. KVM
Caracteristics:
Pro: FULL virtualization. You can run in theory any operating system (including Windows, BSD, anything x86/amd64 based), any kernel, any modules, fully virtualizes periferals (NICs, are the most important), it is very similar to a real computer. However, Prometeus does not support all operating systems, but you can make a special request, except windows which has own category).
Cons: It is generally slower and has higher overhead and this means higher price. Increasing space after provisioning is difficult, as such we prefer to offer you another hard drive if needed.
Best suited for: picky apps that need special modules, special nics, special protection schemes, runs anything that would run on a dedicated server (small problems as it does not emulate all possible hardware).
Not suited for: Since it runs anything, the problem is with slightly slower speed than xen and sizeable difference over OVZ.

3.1 KVM-Windows
As of 31st of July 2012, we are supporting also Windows Web Server 2008RC2 full instalation. This means it can be transformed into a fast remote workstation in a VPS.
Pro: Windows 64 bit ! Runs most windows programs.
Con: Slower than linux, needs bigger resources, license costs, higher price.
Special Pro: Since it is more expensive than linux and every bit of resource counts, we offer a highly customisable, manually provisioned machine, see here: https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart. ... roduct&i=0 (Note: please think well about the needed disk space. Growing it later needs a lot of work, we can provide you a second disk or reprovision the machine)
Update: Since some customers wanted to use this as a real server and not as an workstation, we are now offering the Standard version of the 2008RC2 also.

The speed order is from fastest to slowest: OVZ->Xen->KVM
While Prometeus will not overcommit, OVZ is still faster for the recommended applications. In general, if it runs on OVZ without problems, choose ovz, if you need full control, choose KVM or Xen-PV which is faster than KVM and still offers almost full virtualization.

Feel free to comment and ask questions, will offer answers and advice about choosing a plan or the other, just state your needs.

Admin

NanoG6

Re: Current Budget offer

Post by NanoG6 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Nice... Complete explanation like this is what end users like me always wanted!!

jcaleb

Post by jcaleb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 am

My Java App is working fine now in one of your OVZ. Any known issues I might encounter? Or is it some Java API's wont work? I somehow prefer the OVZ box rather than KVM because it's so much faster.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:14 pm

jcaleb wrote:My Java App is working fine now in one of your OVZ. Any known issues I might encounter? Or is it some Java API's wont work? I somehow prefer the OVZ box rather than KVM because it's so much faster.
Yes, if it works, use OVZ. If it throws errors about encryption or networking, there might be a problem and not work on OVZ, in that case you dont have a choice, need to go off OVZ, but KVM is not the only alternative. Xen-PV is also good and a little faster than KVM. It has own kernel and own isolated resources, just like KVM. Only difference is that it doesn't run windows because it needs a modified kernel and uncle Bill wont allow that, you need HVM Xen for windows which is almost same as KVM, they both use qemu, for instance. For the Xen offer: http://www.prometeus.net/sito/VPS (Salvatore likes to hide his best plans...)
Admin

jcaleb

Post by jcaleb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks Admin!

NanoG6

Post by NanoG6 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Admin wrote:Salvatore likes to hide his best plans...
Admin
+1 this. And when we found it, it feels like we found a treasure :D

ErawanArifNugroho

Post by ErawanArifNugroho » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:09 pm

NanoG6 wrote:
Admin wrote:Salvatore likes to hide his best plans...
Admin
+1 this. And when we found it, it feels like we found a treasure :D
+1 Hehe.. :D

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Updated to include the Standard version of the Windows Server 2008RC2.
This will not run on LET special offer, it had higher resources usage and is only recommended if you really want to run it as a server (ASP, IIS, etc).

ErawanArifNugroho

Post by ErawanArifNugroho » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:54 am

Got two Windows2008 now :D
512MB and the 1GB